Although much of Botswana is covered in semi-arid sandy valleys and the Kalahari Desert, the Okavanga Delta becomes a lush animal habitat during seasonal floods, and it boasts many wildlife-rich pockets which boost its popularity as an exclusive luxury safari destination. Abundant with lions, leopards, black and white rhinos on dry land, while boat safaris along the Chobe make the most of the great opportunities for spotting hippos and crocodiles, and the abundance of birdlife.
Discover the rich wildlife of Africa's most exclusive safari destination, Botswana, and explore the Okavango Delta by mokoro or enjoy a sunset cruise on the Chobe River, and more, with our selection of holidays, from private safaris to small group tours.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Gaborone
- Currency: Botswana pula
- Time Difference: Botswana follows Central Africa Time throughout the year, which is 1 hour AHEAD of BST, and 2 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights to Botswana are not direct, and flight times take from over 14 hours
- Official language: English (Setswana is the national language)
- Entry requirements: Visits to Botswana which are 90 days or less do not require a visa. Your passport must have at least 6 months' validity left on from the date of entry. If you are travelling to South Africa before or after your visit to Botswana, you will need to be aware of South Africa's travel advice.
If you are travelling into or through Botswana with children (under the age of 18), a certified copy of their full unabridged birth certificate must be provided as well as a valid passport - an abridge (short) birth certificate will not be accepted. If a child is travelling with one parent or another adult, or is unaccompanied, the parent/parents who aren't present will need to provide an affidavit giving their consent for the child to travel - more information can be found at the Botswana Embassy.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/33/botswana#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/botswana
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!