Egypt, an ancient land dating back millennia to the pharaohs, whose legacy still remains visible along the fertile Nile Valley River, from the mysterious Pyramids and Sphinx at Giza, and Karnak Temple, resplendent in hieroglyphs, to the Valley of the Kings tombs in Luxor. While these ancient monuments are popular draws, there are also Ottoman landmarks to be admired in Cairo, as well as fabulous beach resorts, Nile cruises, and modern sporting activities to be enjoyed too.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Cairo
- Currency: Egyptian pound
- Time Difference: Egypt is 1 hour AHEAD of BST, and 2 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: 4 hours and 45 minutes direct to Cairo. Flights to Sharm el Sheikh are due to resume.
- Official language: Modern Standard Arabic
- Entry requirements: Visas are required for Egypt, and be obtained in advance online through the Visa2Egypt portal or at your nearest consulate. E-visas are valid for a 3-month period. Alternatively, you can get a visa upon arrival at an approved bank kiosk at the airport arrival hall for $25 (payable in Euros, pound sterling, or US dollars). Visas granted on arrival are valid for a maximum of 30 days. Passports must be valid for a minimum of six months from date of entry. For further information on entry requirements, please read here.
- Medication: For information on bringing medicine into Egypt, please read here.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/71/egypt. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt
Discover Egypt's ancient wonders and cultural treasures on one of our holidays - and perhaps combine with Israel and Jordan, too, for adventures further afield! We offer a variety of different ways to explore Egypt's culture and history, whether cruising on the iconic river Nile or joining an escorted tour. To find out more, contact our dedicated travel specialists today.
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!