The wealth of rainforests, beaches and reefs on this island off the southeast coast of Africa makes Madagascar an ideal home for thousands of unique animals, most famously lemurs. But Madagascar is not just rich in wildlife: there are plentiful centuries-old baobab trees to be found lining the famous ‘Avenue of the Baobabs’, as well as a hillside complex of royal palaces and burial grounds at Ambohimanga, near the capital. And yet, despite the fascinating history and wildlife to be found, Madagascar remains a largely untouched gem.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Antananarivo
- Currency: Malagasy ariary
- Time Difference: 2 hours AHEAD of BST, and 3 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights are not direct, and the quickest connecting routes are just under 14 hours
- Official language: French and Malagasy
- Entry requirements: Visas are required, but it is possible to buy a 30/60/90-day tourist visa on arrival at the airport in cash - US dollars, Euros, or Malagasy Ariary are all accepted. The Embassy in London cannot currently issue visas, but if you wish to apply in advance, you will need to apply for a visa at the Embassy of Madagascar in Paris, via, 4 Avenue Raphaël 75016 Paris, telephone: +33 (0) 9 83 32 45 15 / +33 (0) 9 83 32 27; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For other visa enquiries you can contact the Visa Office at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Madagascar, email: email@example.com. Make sure that an entry stamp is recorded in your passport, and that your visa is valid for the period and purpose of your journey. Your passport is required to have a minimum of 6 months' validity from date of entry, and you must have at least 2 blank pages in your passport on arrival.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/134/madagascar. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/madagascar
Come and meet Madagascar's famous lemurs and unique wildlife, relax on its beaches, and discover more on our selection of holidays, or ask our expert travel agents to tailor make your dream Madagascan holiday to suit your needs
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!