An unique country of spectacularly crimson, undulating sand dunes and vast deserts, ancient basalt mountains decorated with rock art, and a strong German colonial influence in its capital, Windhoek, and the coastal town of Swakopmund. Namibia is home to the Damara people, providing excellent opportunities for cultural enrichment, and a diverse wildlife, including a significant cheetah population, and an abundance of rhinos, giraffes, and many other species, drawn to Etosha National Park’s many waterholes. Namibia is one of Africa’s hidden treasures; its unspoilt and unpopulated landscapes are intriguing and breath-taking, but also easily accessible thanks to an excellent road network.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Windhoek
- Currency: Namibian Dollar and South African rand
- Time Difference: 1 hour AHEAD of BST and 2 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights are not direct to Namibia. Connecting flights take from 12 hours and 45 minutes
- Official language: English (but Oshiwamba dialects are the most commonly spoken)
- Entry requirements: Visas are not required if staying for up to 90 days - HOWEVER, it is important to check the duration you have been given permission to stay, as these can sometimes be as short as only 7 or 10 days. Before leaving the immigration desk, ensure that you have been given permission to stay in Namibia for the duration of your intended visit up to the maximum allowable of 90 days and that you have been given a correctly dated stamp entry. Passports must have at least six months' validity from date of entry into Namibia, and for Namibian officials, one blank passport page. However, if you are also travelling to South Africa on the same trip, you should have at least three blank pages.
If travelling with children (under 18), additional documentation is required in addition to valid passports. Further information can be found here.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/157/namibia. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/namibia
Discover tribal culture, trek along mighty sand dunes, admire ancient rock art, and search for the Big Five with our holidays to Namibia - there's something here for everyone! Contact us today to start on your first step to uncovering Namibia, one of Africa's hidden treasures...
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!