From the snow-capped Rwenzori Mountains to the dramatic vastness of Lake Victoria – one of Africa’s great lakes – Uganda showcases a diverse landscape. Uganda is perhaps best known for its gorillas and chimpanzees, as well as rare birds, with the remote Bwindi Impenetrable National Park a renowned mountain gorilla sanctuary. In the northwest, however, is Murchison Falls National Park which boasts a 43m-tall waterfall and abundant wildlife such as hippos, and is also a top attraction.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Kampala
- Currency: Ugandan shilling
- Time Difference: 2 hours AHEAD of BST, and 3 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights to Uganda (Kampala) are indirect, but connecting flights take from 10 hours and 15 minutes
- Official language: English and Swahili
- Entry requirements: Visas are required for Uganda, You can either apply for a visa at the Ugandan High Commission in London, or apply online for an ‘e-visa’. Full details on how to apply can be found on the Ugandan High Commission in London. Ensure that you give yourself sufficient time to apply for a visa, and that the start date and validity covers the period you wish to travel. Alternatively, you can apply for an East African Tourist visa, which is valid for 90 days and allows for multiple entries into Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda, and can be applied for online. Passports must have at least six months' of validity from date of entry.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/231/uganda. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/uganda
Whether on a private safari or a small group tour, our holidays to Uganda will get you close to the famous Gorillas of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, chimpanzee trekking in Kibale National Park, and searching for the Big Five in Queen Elizabeth National Park!
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!