Not one but three mighty rivers flow through Zambia; the Kafue, Luangwa and Zambezi define the landscapes and give the country, its people and wildlife their lifeblood, creating the rhythms of life. The Zambezi thunders over the Batoka Gorge creating the world-famous 'Mosi-oa-Tuna' Smoke That Thunders, better known as Victoria Falls, straddling the border with Zimbabwe. But the Zambian experience of the mighty Falls is just as breath-taking, with the added thrill of being just off the beaten track, and nearby Livingstone makes for Zambia's adventure capital, with bungee jumping, white water rafting and more on offer. Best known for walking safaris, Zambia also boasts Africa's second largest national park, and is home to some of the most pristine and unspoilt wildlife in Africa, promising undiscovered and unique wildlife encounters which can only be experienced here. As one of Africa's undiscovered treasures, your Zambian adventure will be all the more special and memorable.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Lusaka
- Currency: Zambian kwacha
- Time Difference: 1 hour AHEAD of BST, and 2 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: There are no direct flights to Zambia. Connecting flights to Lusaka are just over 13 hours or 14 hours and 20 minutes to Livingstone (the Zambian side of Victoria Falls).
- Official language: English
- Entry requirements: Visas are required for Zambia. You can get a visa from the Zambian High Commission in London prior to travel. Alternatively, single and double entry visit visas are available on arrival at all ports of entry, and you must ensure that you have the correct amount of cash in US dollars with you as change may not be available, although it is possible to pay with a credit or debit card if entering through Kenneth Kaunda International Airport at Lusaka. If you need a multi-entry visa, please note that these are not available on arrival, and should be obtained in advance. You should always check your visa endorsement for the period of your stay in Zambia. For further information, you should check the website of Zambia Department of Immigration or contact the Zambian High Commission in London at email@example.com. Passports should have a minimum of 6 months from date of entry and at least 2 blank pages. If you are travelling into Zambia via South Africa with children, you should be aware of South Africa's additional requirements, which you can read about here.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/247/zambia. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/zambia
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!