Zimbabwe boasts some of the most stunning views of the famous natural wonder, Victoria Falls, as the Zambezi River drops a thundering 108m into narrow Batoka Gorge; but there’s more to do than just viewing this spectacle – white-water rafting and bungee-jumping are popular activities here! On the Zimbabwean side of the Falls, you can marvel up close on by foot or overhead by helicopter. Downstream, the Matusadona and Mana Pools National Parks are home to hippos, rhinos and plentiful birdlife.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Harare
- Currency: RTGS Dollar (also called the Zimbabwean Dollar, Zimdollar, or zollar) is the official currency (as of 2019), but US Dollars are also accepted
- Time Difference: 1 hour AHEAD of BST, and 2 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights are indirect, but connecting flights to the capital Harare or Victoria Falls are around 14 hours
- Official language: The 2013 Constitution recognises 16 official languages: Chewa, Chibarwe, Shona (the most commonly spoken), English, Kalanga, Koisan, Nambya, Ndau, Ndebele (the second most commonly spoken language), Shangani, sign language, Sotho, Tonga, Tswana, Venda, and Xhosa.
- Entry requirements: Visas are required, and can be obtained from the Zimbabwean Embassy in London or on arrival in Zimbabwe. If getting the visa on arrival, make sure you have enough cash with you in small notes to pay for your visa at the airport. You will typically be given permission to stay for 30 days but you should check that the number of days given at the port of entry covers your intended period of stay. Passports should be valid for a minimum of six months, and have at least three blank pages. If travelling with children to/from/through South Africa, you will need to be aware of South Africa's requirements for additional documentation. If you are planning to travel between Zimbabwe and Zambia, or day trips into Botswana, the KAZA Univisa is valid for such travel, and available at Harare Bulawayo, and Victoria Falls airports, as well as the land borders at Victoria Falls (Zambian border) and Kazungula (Botswana border), and is valid for 30 days. The fee is US $50.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/248/zimbabwe. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/zimbabwe
On our holidays, you'll explore Zimbabwe from the iconic Victoria Falls and beyond, with safari adventures to Zimbabwe's National Parks, and more! Whether you're looking for a self-drive or a rail holiday, or a tour combining many of the highlights of Zimbabwe and Southern Africa, we're here to help create your perfect Zimbabwean holiday - just contact us today...
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!