From the towering, golden Shwedagon Pagoda and giant reclining Buddha of Yangon to the ancient temples of Bagan, Burma has an abundance of pagodas, stupas, monasteries and monuments to behold. But its real charm lies in its people, the friendliest you could meet. Village life can best be witnessed along the banks of the mighty Irrawaddy, where you can also witness floating bamboo houses on rafts and boats laden with teak logs, sand, rice and more, while cities like Yangon and Mandalay are home to bustling markets. Burma is a must-see treasure, and is fast becoming the hot place to visit!
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Naypyitaw
- Currency: Burmese kyat
- Time Difference: Burma is 5.5 hours AHEAD of BST, and 6.5 hours AHEAD of GMT. Burma maintains the same time throughout the year as it is does not observe Daylight Saving Time.
- Flight time: You cannot fly direct to Burma, but there are many different connections available, depending on the airline you are flying with, such as via Doha, Dubai, or Bangkok. Flights take 13 hours and 25 minutes to Yangon, or 14 hours and 20 minutes to Mandalay.
- Official language: Burmese
- Entry requirements: A visa is required before you travel, and you will need to apply at the nearest Myanmar Embassy or Consulate well in advance, or apply online. For more information about entry requirements, contact the Myanmar Embassy. Your passport must have a minimum of six months' validity from date of entry.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/156/burma-myanmar#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/myanmar
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!