Thousands of volcanic islands and hundreds of ethnic groups with a myriad of languages make up Indonesia, renowned for its beaches and volcanoes, and jungles, home to elephants, tigers and the fascinating Komodo dragons. There are so many wonderful islands to be explored and adventures to be had in Indonesia from yoga and meditation and popular beach resorts for beach bunnies and watersports, to a rich culture of gamelan music, traditional puppetry and sacred sites such as the Uluwatu Temple, and Borobudur, and more…
The island of Java bustles with its sprawling, vibrant capital of Jakarta, and the cultural city of Yogyakarta, home of gamelan music and traditional puppetry, whilst Bali’s rice paddies, beaches and coral reefs is home to religious sites such as the Cliffside Uluwatu Temple, and various yoga and meditation retreats. But Bali has a lively side too with the vibrant bars of the beachside city of Kuta, and the popular beach resort towns of Seminyak, Sanu and Nusa Dua.
Bella and Tracey have both been to Indonesia, staying on Bali
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Jakarta
- Currency: Indonesian rupiah
- Time Difference: Indonesia has three time zones, depending on which part you're visiting: Indonesian Western Standard Time (Sumatra, Java, and West and Central Kalimantan on Borneo) is 6 hours AHEAD of BST and 7 hours AHEAD of GMT; Indonesian Central Standard Time (the rest of Indonesian Borneo, Sulawesi, Bali, West Nusa Tenggara, and East Nusa Tenggara) is 7 hours AHEAD of BST and 8 hours AHEAD of GMT; and Indonesian Eastern Standard Time (Maluku, North Maluku, West Papua, and Papua) is 8 hours AHEAD of BST and 9 hours AHEAD of GMT.
- Flight time: There are no direct flights to Indonesia, and the two main entry airports for Brits are Jakarta or Bali (Denpassar). Flights to Jakarta are from 15 hours and 40 minutes (via Singapore - although there are other connections) and Bali flights are from 16 hours and 25 minutes (again, Singapore is the quickest connection).
- Official language: Indonesian (over 700 regional languages!)
- Entry requirements: Visas are not required for stays of 30 days (inclusive); further information on the list of airports/seaports/border crossings for entering/exiting under the visa waiver scheme can be found on the website of the Indonesian Embassy in London.
- If you are planning to stay longer, you will need a visa, which can be applied for upon arrival for a fee (usually $35 or the equivalent in Indonesian rupiah) at the visa on arrival desk at the airport. You can apply for an e-visa in advance.
- Passports must be valid for a minimum of six months' from the date of exit (whether or not a visa is required).
- If bringing prescription medication into the country, ensure that you have a copy of the prescription with you, and that it must cover the quantity of medication you bring. Some prescription or other medication available in the UK may be illegal in Indonesia (including some psychotropic medicines), and it is advisable to check with your doctor and the Indonesian Embassy for advice before you travel, especially if you are unsure.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/106/indonesia#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/indonesia
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!