Head off the beaten track and discover the once-remote land of Mongolia, synonymous with the legendary warrior-leader Genghis Khan. From the vast desertscapes of the Gobi desert to the vast tranquil waters of Lake Khovsgol and the Great White Lake, Mongolia is renowned for its expanse of wild, stunning countryside, home to nomads and wildlife. Rolling steppes, remarkable sand dunes, rugged mountains and verdant forests are calling to be explored and it's the ultimate destination for off-the-beaten track al fresco adventures, staying in traditional ger camps and enjoying the simpler pleasures in life. By contrast, its capital Ulaanbaatar strikes a very different note, ever-changing, vibrant and bustling, and filled with Soviet-era architecture.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Ulaanbaatar
- Currency: Mongolian tögrög
- Time Difference: Most of Mongolia uses Mongolia Standard Time, which is 7 hours AHEAD of BST and 8 hours AHEAD of GMT. Some provinces in the very far west of the country are 6 hours AHEAD of BST and 7 hours AHEAD of GMT.
- Flight time: There are no direct flights to Mongolia, and flights are from 11 hours and 10 minutes (via Moscow, other connections are available).
- Official language: Mongolian
- Entry requirements: Visas are required BEFORE arrival, and full information can be found on the website of Immigration of Mongolia. Visas are normally valid for a stay of 30 days within a six month period from the date of issue. Passports must have at least six months' validity from the date of entry, and biometric data (scanned fingerprints) will be collected upon arrival. Also check with the Foreign Office for up-to-date advice, including information on border crossings.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/151/mongolia#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mongolia
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!