Synonymous with Sherpas and the mighty snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas, Nepal is the ultimate goal for keen mountaineers, with some of the Himalaya's most iconic and accessible hiking found here, not to mention the long trek to Everest, the highest peak of them all. That's not the only adrenaline kick though; why not try rafting a roaring river, bungee jumping into the seemingly endless abyss of a Himalayan gorge, canyoning, climbing, kayaking, paragliding or mountain biking through some of the world's most dramatic scenery? But Nepal can also be enjoyed and savoured at a slower pace, admiring its myriad monasteries and stupas dating back over centuries, exploring and discovering the ancient histories and cultures of cities such as Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur. Heading south from the wild and woolly national parks, home to yaks and mountainous creatures, exotic bird species, rhinos and even tigers live in the heart of jungles, whether your base is a luxury safari lodge in central Chitwan or a wilder safari experience in the more remote and untouched Bardia or Koshi Tappu.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Time Difference: 4 hours and 45 minutes AHEAD of BST, and 5 hours and 45 minutes AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights are indirect, and take from 11 hours and 20 minutes to Nepal
- Official language: Nepali
- Entry requirements: Visas are required for entry, and can be done in advance via the the Embassy of Nepal, 12A, Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QU (telephone: +20 7229 1594 or 6231 or 5352). Visas will be valid for entry for three to six months from date of issue.
Alternatively, you can get a15/30/90-day tourist visa on arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport and at some land borders, by filling in an application form on arrival and providing a passport photograph - further information can be found on the Nepali Department of Immigration website.
If you are planning to travel to Tibet, Bhutan or India, it is best to get a multiple-entry visa, although you can change a single-entry visa to a multiple-entry visa at Kathmandu's Central Immigration Office for $20.
Passports must have at least six months' validity on them when you submit your visa application.
If you need to bring medication with you, you should bring your prescription with you. For further information, contact the Embassy of Nepal.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/159/nepal#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/nepal
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!