Boasting some of the best sights in central Asia, Uzbekistan may be off the typical beaten track, but it's well worth a visit and should not be overlooked! It's a deeply fascinating country with a long history, strewn with fabulous mosques and mausoleums, along the famous Silk Road, the ancient trade route between China and the Mediterranean. It boasts ancient cities rich in history and stunning architecture, remote fortresses, adventures in the Nuratau Mountains, and you'll be warmly welcomed by friendly people for whom hospitality is an integral part of their culture.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Tashkent
- Currency: Uzbekistani soʻm
- Time Difference: Uzbekistan is 4 hours AHEAD of BST, and 5 hours AHEAD of GMT
- Flight time: Flights are indirect, and from 9 hours and 20 minutes to Tashkent (via Moscow) or from 10 hours to Samarkand (via Moscow). You will need to check whether a transitting visa is required, depending on the entry requirements of your connection.
- Official language: Uzbeki
- Entry requirements: British citizens are exempt from visas for stays up to 30 days (if you hold a different sort of British passport or wish to stay longer, you will need to check with the Embassy of the Republic of Uzbekistan). Passports must be valid for at least 3 months' from date of entry.
Check in advance the complete list of prohibited medicines and the legal quantities of medicines that are allowed to be brought in, by looking at the website of the State Customs Committee of Uzbekistan. If you intend to travel with prescription medicines, you will need to carry a doctor's prescription and declare the items on your customs declaration form (everyone is required to complete two copies of customs declaration forms on arrival, and should ensure that they are properly signed and stamped by customs officials - one copy is to be presented to officials upon entry, and the other upon departure). Be aware that some non-prescription medicines in the UK (including codeine) can cause problems on entry into Uzbekistan if you don't have a possession, or you're carrying more than you need for the visit and don't declare them on arrival.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/237/uzbekistan#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/uzbekistan
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!