Today, Denmark's cool, progressive cosmopolitan cities and New Nordic culinary movement are a far cry from its marauding Viking past centuries ago. Denmark is often described as the 'happiest place on earth', and you will soon experience the uniquely Danish trait of 'hygge', a sense of cosiness which ensconces the Danish. Denmark is both the land of fairytales - birthplace of the famous Hans Christian Anderson - with its dreamy castles, and Scandi-chic with its simple, understated landscapes and architecture.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Copenhagen
- Currency: Danish Krone
- Time Difference: Mainland Denmark follows Central European Time, which is 1 hour AHEAD of the UK throughout the year. It currently observes Daylight Saving Time from the last Sunday of March to the last Sunday of October, but is due to decide by April 2020 whether it will permanently set its time to Central European Standard (1 hour AHEAD of GMT) or Central European Daylight Saving Time (2 hours AHEAD of GMT/1 hour ahead of BST). For Greenland, please read here. The Faroe Islands are another exception, as they follow Western European Time, which is the same time zone as the UK, so there is no time difference.
- Flight time: From 1 hour and 45 minutes direct to Copenhagen, flights to Aarhus take 1 hour and 40 minutes direct.
- Official language: Danish
- Entry requirements: Visas are not required. As part of Europe and the Schengen area, in the event of Brexit, please read here for information on changes to travel. Currently, no additional validity is required on your passport, but please also read our further information for changes following Brexit.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/64/denmark#Vaccine_recommendations (if you are travelling to Faroe Islands, please read here.) If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/denmark
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!