Delve into Hungary's rich history and discover a culture infused with Roman, Turkish, Slavic and Magyar influences. The mighty river Danube runs through Hungary, dissecting its remarkable capital, Budapest, with Buda's medieval allure on one side, and Pest's neoclassical elegance gracing the other. Hungary boasts a veritable treasure trove of architectural gems, ranging wide from Roman ruins, medieval towns and baroque churches to neoclassical structures and Art Nouveau bathhouses and schools, as well as a well-earned foodie reputation dating as far back as the late 19th century. But if you just want to relax, enjoy a long soak in one of Hungary's estimated 300 thermal springs, popular with people of all ages!
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Budapest
- Currency: Hungarian forint
- Time Difference: Hungary follows Central European Time, which is 1 hour AHEAD of the UK throughout the year. It currently observes Daylight Saving Time from the last Sunday of March to the last Sunday of October, but is due to decide by April 2020 whether it will permanently set its time to Central European Standard (1 hour AHEAD of GMT) or Central European Daylight Saving Time (2 hours AHEAD of GMT/1 hour ahead of BST).
- Flight time: 2 hours and 25 minutes to Budapest
- Official language: Hungarian
- Entry requirements: Visas are not required. As part of Europe and the Schengen area, in the event of Brexit, please read here for information on changes to travel. Currently, no additional validity is required on your passport, but please also read our further information for changes following Brexit.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/103/hungary#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hungary
Discover Hungary from the DanubeFind more Danube River Cruises on our specialist Cruise Select site!
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!