Spectacular natural scenery including its famous fjords, fantastic outdoors activities, charming and colourful cities, a variety of museums and replica Viking ships, and Arctic natural phenomena are just some of Norway's highlights.
A landscape of almost ethereal beauty, of magnificent fjords and waterfalls, dramatic mountains and haunting glaciers, Norway is well loved for its natural beauty, and a popular destination to spot the Northern Lights at winter and be dazzled by the summer midnight sun above the Arctic circle. The home of trolls, Vikings, and Nordic walking, it is also well known for fishing, hiking and skiing. The former Hanseatic city of Bergen is known as the gateway to fjords, and is one of the wettest places on earth - but its colourful wooden houses add a dash of colour despite the rain! Tromsø is Europe's most northerly city, and the former capital of Trondheim still showcases its past glories proudly, while the city of Oslo is known for its open green spaces and museums, including the Edvard Munch Museum and the collection of open air museums, the Norsk Folkemuseum.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Oslo
- Currency: Norwegian krone
- Time Difference: Norway follows Central European Time, and observes Daylight Saving Time from the last Sunday of March to the last Sunday of October, during which time it is an hour further forward. In Summer (during Daylight Saving), Norway is 2 hours AHEAD of GMT, and 1 hour AHEAD of GMT in Winter.
- Flight time: Stavanger takes 1 hour and 45 minutes direct, 1 hours and 55 minutes to fly direct to Bergen, and 2 hours and 5 minutes for a direct flight to Oslo. Trondheim and Tromsø are also popular destinations, but are indirect.
- Official language: Norwegian
- Entry requirements: Visas are not required. As part of Europe and the Schengen Area, in the event of Brexit, please read here for information on changes to travel. Currently, no additional validity is required on your passport, but please also read our further information for changes following Brexit.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/168/norway#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/norway
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!