A tropical nation composed of 26 coral atolls, which in turn are made up of hundreds of islands, the Maldives is known for its sublime beaches, blue lagoons, extensive reefs, and exclusive luxury resorts – it’s easy to find a perfect secluded paradise here. The capital, Malé, bustles with its busy fish market, restaurants, shops and 17th century Hukuru Miskiy (the Old Friday Mosque) made of coral stone.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Malé
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
- Time Difference: 4 hours AHEAD of BST and 5 hours AHEAD of GMT - Maldives maintains the same time throughout the year (no Daylight Saving)
- Flight time: Fly direct in 10 hours and 20 minutes.
- Official language: Dhivehi or Maldevian
- Entry requirements: You can get a tourist visa for 30 days upon arrival (provided you have a valid onward or return ticket and sufficient funds to cover your stay). Your passport must have at least six months' validity from the date of entry.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/139/maldives#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure.
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/maldives
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!