From the mountainous interior encompassing the Black River Gorges National Park – home of some curious and unique animals and birds such as the Mauritian flying fox, pink pigeon, Mauritius bulbul, and more – rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails and vibrant fauna, to the superb beaches, lagoons and reefs, Mauritius offers stunning natural beauty. Port Louis, its capital, boasts such diverse attractions as the Champs de Mars horse track, the colonial Eureka plantation, 18th-century botanical garden, and more.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Port Louis
- Currency: Mauritian rupee
- Time Difference: 3 hours AHEAD of BST, and 4 hours AHEAD of GMT - Mauritius observes Mauritius Time throughout the year, without Daylight Saving Time.
- Flight time: Direct flights are around 12 hours
- Official language: There is no official language, but Mauritian Creole is spoken by 90% of the population. Mauritius is also both English- and French-speaking.
- Entry requirements: No visa is required; you'll receive a passport stamp upon arrival for 60 days. Your passport is required to have validity for the proposed duration of your stay only (no further validity is required), although you must have at least one blank page in your passport.
- Vaccinations and Health: You should always ensure that you travel with adequate travel health insurance. For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/145/mauritius#Vaccine_recommendations. If vaccinations are required, it is generally advisable to arrange an appointment with a health professional four to six weeks before departure
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mauritius
Our Top Holidays in Mauritius
The Residence, Mauritius
The Four Seasons Resort at Anahita
Preskil Beach Resort
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!