Achingly beautiful islands set in sapphire blue waters, with world-class beaches, top resorts and water sports, lush forests, and astonishingly vibrant flora and fauna, intriguing colonial pasts, and tropical parties, each destination in the Caribbean and Bahamas has its own flavour and something of its own to offer.
Sarah, Amy, Rachel, and Julie have all been to the Caribbean, visiting various destinations. Sarah's been to Antigua and Barbados, Amy's cruised to Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada, Trinidad & Tobago, and St Kitts, while Rachel has cruised the Caribbean a couple of times, and has also visited Dominican Republic, as well as Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada, Trinidad & Tobago, and St Kitts. Julie, however, is our Caribbean Queen, and has been to the Caribbean over 20 times! She's been to various Caribbean islands, including Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts & Nevis, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, and Dominican Republic.
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Each nation in the Caribbean has its own capital.
- Currency: There are many different currencies used throughout the Caribbean, including the Eastern Caribbean Dollar, and various other local currencies. However, US Dollars are widely accepted throughout the Caribbean and Bahamas.
- Time Difference: The Caribbean is roughly split between two time zones, with the western parts of the Caribbean observing the US' Eastern Standard Time Zone (6 hours BEHIND BST, and 5 hours BEHIND GMT), while the eastern parts observe the Atlantic Standard Time Zone (5 hours BEHIND BST, and 4 hours BEHIND GMT). Most of the Caribbean does NOT observe Daylight Saving, maintaining the same time throughout the year. However, there are some exceptions, including the Bahamas, Bermuda, and Cuba.
- Flight time: Depending on where you're flying to, flight times can be varied, and not all Caribbean countries have direct flights from the UK. Direct flights can range from eight and a half hours (Antigua) or 8 hours and 45 minutes (Barbados) to just under 11 hours (Kingston,Jamaica, or Trinidad)
- Official language: English is widely spoken throughout the Caribbean, and is the official language of many of the nations. There are some exceptions, such as the Dominican Republic, which has Spanish as the official language. Local variations of Creole are also recognised as regional languages in some countries.
- Entry requirements: Visas are not required for the Caribbean, although rules regarding passport validity may differ from country to country; some require a minimum of six months' validity from date of entry or exit, while others simply require validity throughout the duration of your stay.
- Vaccinations and Health: For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
You can read more specific information about the following countries: Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts & Nevis, British Virgin Islands, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and the Cayman Islands, as well as Cuba.
Featured Holidays in the Caribbean and Bahamas
Sandals Grande St Lucian
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!