From the cosmopolitan metropolis of Manhattan in New York, with its excellent Broadway shows, varied shopping and restaurants, and iconic skyline, to the hedonism and dazzling lights of Las Vegas, the palm-lined beaches of Miami, the liberalism of San Francisco and its iconic Golden Gate Bridge and rolling hills, the USA offers a smorgasbord of activities and interests. Natural phenomena from Niagara Falls to the Grand Canyon, arid deserts, and flourishing National Parks, contrast with bustling cities.
Various members of Team Select have been to the USA. Amy has been to Florida and New York, Bella has experienced the famous Fall Colours, Julie has visited New York, Boston, Miami, Florida, and LA, Rachel has cruised Alaska and been to Florida, New York, and San Francisco, where she started a self-drive holiday through California in a Mustang, Sarah and Sharon have also been to the US, as well as Tracey, who is also our accredited Orlando Specialist!
Key facts before you go:
- Capital: Washington DC
- Currency: US Dollars
- Time Difference: Given the breadth of the country, the USA has six standard time zones. From east to west, they are: Eastern (roughly covered by the states on the Atlantic coast and the eastern two thirds of the Ohio Valley), Central (roughly the Gulf Coast, Mississippi Valley, and most of the Great Plains), Mountain (generally comprising the states and portions of states that include the Rocky Mountains, and the western quarter of the Great Plains), Pacific (which includes the states on the Pacific coast, as well as Nevada and the Idaho panhandle), Alaska and Hawaii. Most of the USA observes Daylight Saving Time, which starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. For more specific information on US time differences, find out more here.
- Flight time: There are many different popular destinations across the US, with varying flight times, ranging from 7.5 hours to just under 12. There are also many direct flight routes. Read more about flight times to the USA here.
- Official language: English
- Entry requirements: In most cases, you can apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter or transit the USA as a visitor. ESTAs allow you to travel to the USA for up to 90 days for the purpose of tourism, certain types of business visits, and transit to another country. ESTAs are applied for online via a pre-registration form for an application fee, and should be submitted in good time (at least 72 hours before departure to allow for processing and approval). If you are NOT eligible for an ESTA, you will need to apply for a visa from the nearest US Embassy or Consulate. Further information on US ESTAs and visas can be found here.
Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.
- Vaccinations and Health: For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/235/united-states#Vaccine_recommendations
There are no reciprocal healthcare arrangements between the UK and USA, so ensure that you are fully covered with travel insurance.
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!