Spanning the Andes, the Atacama Desert and Amazon Basin rainforest, and sharing South America’s largest lake with Peru, the glass-smooth Lake Titicaca, Bolivia’s natural diversity is breath-taking. The wide-ranging landscapes are just perfect for intrepid adventurers to explore in the search of thrills, whether it’s hiking over mountains or trekking through jungles, discovering its astounding and rich wildlife. Playful monkeys, elegant vicuña, and over a 1,000 species of birds will delight nature lovers. Bolivia’s culture is as diverse as its geography, some of the cultures and languages could disappear within our lifetime, while there are still traditions and beliefs dating back to the days of the Inca Kings and Tiwanaku cosmologist priests. In the highlands, meet pastoralists and independent miners proud of their Quechua, Aymará and Uru roots, and remote Guaraní communities in the low-lying plains and deep in the forests who are slowly adapting as Quechua-speaking and mestizo settlers arrive.
Key Facts before you go:
- Capital: Sucre (the official and judicial capital); La Paz is the seat of Bolivia's executive and legislative branches of government)
- Currency: Bolivian Boliviano
- Time Difference: Bolivia does not observe daylight saving time, meaning that Bolivia has the same time zone all year. The whole country observes Bolivia time (BOT).
- Bolivia is Five hours BEHIND BST, and four hours BEHIND GMT
- Flight time: 16.5 hours to La Paz (indirect)
- Official language: (Castilian) Spanish plus 38 indigenous languages, including Aymara and Quechuan
- Entry requirements: Visa not required for an initial stay up to 30 days, which can be extended at no extra charge for a further 60 days (provided an application is made before the initial 30 day period) at one of the Departments of Immigration. You must always make sure you get your entry stamp on arrival in Bolivia. Passport must have a minimum of six months' validity from date of entry
- Vaccinations: For up-to-date
information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
Parts of Bolivia - including La Paz - are at high altitude. Be aware of higher exposure to UV radiation. Use high factor sunblock and keep well hydrated. If you plan to travel to altitudes over 2,500 metres discuss the health risks associated with travelling to high altitude with your GP before you travel. More information about altitude sickness can be found here: https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/factsheet/26/altitude-illness
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/bolivia
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!