Stretching from the incredible Amazon Basin in the north to fertile vineyards and the astounding Iguazu Falls in the South, Brazil is also famous for its riotous Carnival festival, alive with vivid colours, flamboyant costumes, parade floats and fun-filled samba, and its famous and busy Copacabana and Ipanema beaches.
Key facts before you go:
- Capital: Brasilia
- Currency: Brazilian real
- Time Difference: Brazil abolished Daylight Saving Time in 2019, but it does have 4 standard time zones. Adoption of time zones is decided at state level.
Brasilia (Standard) Time (BRT) is 4 hours BEHIND BST and 3 hours BEHIND GMT. BRT covers most of the popular destinations to visit in Brazil, including Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Brasilia, Bahia, Minas Gerais etc.
Amazon (Standard) Time (AMT) is 5 hours BEHIND BST, and 4 hours BEHIND GMT. AMT covers the states of Amazonas (including its capital, Manaus), and other western states.
- Flight time: 11 hours 40 minutes to Rio de Janeiro (direct) or 11 hours 45 minutes to Sao Paulo (direct). Flights to Manaus are over 18 hours from London (via Miami). Daily flights to Manaus are available from Rio de Janeiro (4 hours 10minutes) or Sao Paulo (3 hours 50 minutes).
- Official language: Portuguese
- Entry requirements: Visas are not normally required for British passport holders for stays of up to 90 days during a 12-month period - more information can be found on the Brazilian Consulate in London's website. Passports must have a minimum of 6 months' validity from date of entry.
- Vaccinations: For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/34/brazil#Vaccine_recommendations
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/brazil
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run travel agent, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!