The sound of panpipes, the peaks of the Andes, the depths of the Amazon rainforest, the liveliness of Cusco, the legendary Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley, and many more Incan sites and the popular Inca Trail, and a plethora of hiking, rafting and mountain-biking opportunities – Peru has much to offer history buffs, nature lovers, culture vultures and thrill seekers.
Amy from Team Select has visited Peru, exploring Lima, Cusco and the Sacred Valley, and the Amazon. You can read all about her experiences in her blog series, or feel free to ask her any questions. Rachel is currently in Peru on a tour with Tauck, which will be combined with Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands, and she will be happy to share her experiences when she's back, but keep an eye out for updates on our Facebook pages!
KEY FACTS BEFORE YOU GO:
- Capital: Lima
- Currency: Peruvian sol
- Time Difference: Six hours BEHIND BST, five hours BEHIND GMT. Peru does not observe daylight saving time, meaning that Peru has the same time zone all year.
- Flight time: 12.5 hours (direct)
- Official language: Spanish, plus indigenous languages including Quechuan and Aymara
- Entry requirements: No requirement for a tourist visa (stay for up to 183 days). Passport must have a minimum validity of 6 months from date of entry.
- Vaccinations and health: For up-to-date information, please check this website (as recommended by the Foreign Office): https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/177/peru#Vaccine_recommendations
General information on travel vaccinations can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/
Parts of Peru - including Cusco, Puno, the Colca Canyon, and Kuelap - are at high altitude. Be aware of higher exposure to UV radiation. Use high factor sunblock and keep well hydrated. If you plan to travel to altitudes over 2,500 metres discuss the health risks associated with travelling to high altitude with your GP before you travel. More information about altitude sickness can be found here:https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/factsheet/26/altitude-illness
To find out more, and for the most up-to-date advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/peru/
Experience an Amazon adventure in Peru!Find more Amazon cruises on our specialist Cruise Select site!
SELECT TRAVEL HOLIDAYS - BEDFORD'S ONLY AWARD-WINNING TRAVEL AGENCY
Independent and family-run, with a dedicated team of travel specialists with decades of experience, at Select Travel Holidays, you can be assured of first-class customer service and making your dream holiday a reality.
Let our website inspire you, give us a call, or pop in to our shop on Mill Street, Bedford, where you'll be greeted with a friendly smile, and our travel specialists will take care of all the details of your next holiday, so all you have to do is enjoy exploring the world! Whether an all-inclusive luxury resort, an epic rail adventure, or a small group tour, and everything in between, we're here to help you discover the world's most beautiful and exciting destinations - on land or at sea!